The tarts salted are one of those dishes that you always save a hurry: a meal with friends, an informal dinner, a pecking … He likes to almost everyone and is very versatile, as allowed many combinations of ingredients. They can even be a good option for children to eat that difficult vegetable.
Although the most famous version of this savory cake may be the Lorraine quiche , this time I wanted to make a slightly lighter version, based on zucchini and goat cheese. This vegetable provides a great softness to the dish, which combines perfectly with goat cheese, with a more intense flavor.
The base of the quiche is a lifelong broken dough, which we can make at home, or buy in the supermarket, an ideal option for when we are in a hurry. To make the one you see in the photo, I used a portion of homemade shortcrust pastry that I had in the freezer, which is also a good choice.
Tools need to make the zucchini and goat cheese quiche
- Detachable mold about 26 cm in diameter
- Roller to roll out the dough
- Dried chickpeas or ceramic balls to prevent the dough from swelling
- Egg whisk rods
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- 1 sheet of shortcrust dough (purchased or homemade)
- 400 g of zucchini (one large one)
- 250 g leek
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml of cream for cooking
- 200 g of goat cheese type roll
- Cheese for gratin
- Virgin olive oil
Baking the shortcrust pastry base
- First, preheat the oven to 180º.
- Roll out the dough with the help of a rolling pin and cover the mold. As you would with any savory cake batter, try to spread it out in a thin layer because if it is too thick the result will be a bit coarse.
- Trim the edges to be flush with the pan. To do this, slide a knife across the surface of the mold making movements from the inside to the outside of it.
- Then prick the base with a fork and cover it with a weight. This is done so that the dough does not rise through the center, because if it does, it would be useless for the quiche. In the market, there are some metallic or ceramic balls that can be reused as many times as we want, but you can also use some chickpeas or beans.
- Bake the dough at 180º for about 12 minutes, until it turns color. This is called blank baking. When it's ready, you take it out of the oven and let it warm up a bit.
Prepare the quiche filling
- Cut the leek and fry it in the pan together with a drizzle of olive oil. Meanwhile, cut the zucchini into thin slices and, in turn, into quarters, as you can see in the photo below.
- Add the zucchini to the pan and continue to fry the vegetables for about 10-15 minutes. In this step, you can add a pinch of salt to help the vegetables release their water and cook more easily.
- On the other hand, beat the eggs with the help of a few rods and add the cream and half of the crumbled goat cheese.
- When the poaching of vegetables is ready, add it to this mixture of eggs, cream, and cheese. Season with salt and add a pinch of pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour it over the shortcrust pastry base, which you had reserved. Top with the rest of the cheese cut into pieces and sprinkle with a little cheese to gratin.
- Enter the quiche zucchini and cheese in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the surface is golden brown. To know if it is done, insert a toothpick or skewer in its central part and check that no raw dough sticks to it, that you take it out almost clean.
- When it's ready, take it out of the oven, let it warm. When it is no longer burning, remove it from the mold and enjoy a delicious quiche with zucchini and homemade goat cheese.
- I have already mentioned it to you in the preparation of the recipe, but it is important that the shortcrust is thin. When stretching it, pay special attention to the edges, which is where it tends to be thicker. This way it will be slightly crunchy when we taste it.
- If you use chickpeas or beans to prevent the dough from rising, they are useless. Then don't put them in the pot! I save them and use them for another occasion.
- When you go to unmold the quiche make sure it is cold or warm, as you can burn your fingers. If some of the fillings have come out during cooking, the movable part of the pan may stick. In this case, slide the tip of a knife between the dough and the pan. Do not do it if it is silicone, as it can break.
- These savory tarts are ideal for encouraging children to eat vegetables. Accompany it with some salad and you will have a perfect dinner for them.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 526Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 191mgSodium 526mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 15g
Variations to make this zucchini and goat cheese quiche so easy
- If you like intense flavors, try substituting all or part of the goat cheese for a cabrales, Italian gorgonzola, or a Roquefort. If, on the other hand, at home, you are not very fond of cheese, use cream cheese. You will have a very soft but also very rich quiche. If you are using cream cheese, you can add a little more salt and pepper.
- Instead of shortcrust you can use puff pastry, which can be bought or homemade. The salty cakes with puff pastry are also very tasty.
- Don’t have a leek? You can change it for an onion, It won’t affect the end result too much.
- Do you want a lighter version with a few fewer calories? You can change the cream for semi-skimmed milk.