The holidays are quickly approaching, and I’m naturally a step behind. While I’ve thankfully completed the majority of my holiday shopping, this has not been a year for festive holiday decorating – there simply hasn’t been a moment! However, I became engrossed in a couple of vacation movies and went to see Frozen 2. (it was great, I loved it).
On my December bucket list, I still want to go rollerblading, write my annual reflection, visit the Christmas market, and drink some more (dairy-free) hot chocolate. Speaking of which, if you’re in the Toronto area, make your way over to Butternut Baking Co if you’re craving hot chocolate – they’ve mastered the keto melty-marshmallow magic (and they were top-secret when I tried to ask how they fared). It’s reasonable!, It was delicious!).
But, with the holidays approaching, I wanted to share a healthy veggie side dish that I know will be a hit: Za’atar Bacon Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate.
- 6 pieces of bacon chopped
- 1 pound grated Brussels sprouts
- 1 teaspoon Za'atar spice mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon is golden brown. Remove the bacon and set aside. Set aside all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the pan for later use.
- Add the grated Brussels sprouts and bacon fat to the skillet. (If you need more fat, just use more of the reserved bacon fat.) Season with za'atar and salt. Cook for 7 minutes, or until the brussels sprouts are tender.
- Remove from heat and add the cooked bacon again, hot to reheat.
- Serve immediately topped with pomegranate arils.
THIS DISH HAS THE FOLLOWING HEALTH BENEFITS:
- Brussels sprouts: These cruciferous vegetables are high in fiber and high in vitamin K (essential for blood clotting). They are also high in vitamin C (hello, healthy immune system!).
- Pomegranate: These beautiful red seeds are high in antioxidants, nitrates (which can help with athletic performance), and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Sumac: Sumac, a spicy spice found in Za'atar's blend, is high in antioxidants and can protect the body from free radical damage.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 176Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 23mgSodium 1144mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 12g