- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted almond pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees C). A large baking sheet should be greased and floured.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Incorporate the eggs, vanilla, almond extract, and zest. Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt in a mixing bowl. Incorporate into the creamed mixture until just combined. Mix in the almonds. Separate the dough into two pieces. Form into 12 inch long, 1/2 inch tall flat loaves. Place the loaves on the prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until light golden brown, in a preheated oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices with a serrated knife. Place the slices on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, flipping once. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips. Melt chocolate in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds, stirring every 20 to 30 seconds, until smooth. Spread chocolate on one side of each cookie with a spatula. Allow to stand at room temperature until completely set. Biscotti should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
Nutrition InformationYield 42 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 85Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 13mgSodium 54mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g