- 1teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2cups onion, chopped (3 medium)
- 3garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12oz dark orange sweet potatoes (about 2 mediums), peeled, finely chopped (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2teaspoon of salt
- 1container (32 oz carton) Progresso® chicken broth (4 cups) or vegetable broth
- 1cup Cascadian Farm® frozen edamame (green soybeans), pod removed, thawed
- twotablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent. Cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is softened.
- Coat a slow cooker (3-4 quarts) with cooking spray. Combine the sweet potatoes, barley, thyme, salt, and 3 cups of the broth in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the garlic-onion mixture.
- Cook for 4 to 5 hours on the stovetop over low heat.
- Bake the remaining cup of broth in a 2-cup microwaveable container on high power for 2 to 3 minutes, or until boiling. In the pot, combine the thawed edamame and boiling broth with the barley mixture. Raise the heat to high; cover and continue to cook for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until the edamame is tender. Serve with the cheese on top. Cooking time will vary if you cook the risotto in a regular pot or saucepan.
- Edamame are soybeans and have as much protein as a meatless main dish. It also serves as a side dish serving smaller portions.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 173Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 14mgSodium 249mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 5gSugar 8gProtein 9g