Nothing beats homemade goodies, especially during the holidays. I like to serve my guest’s chocolate-covered peanut brittle Oreos or these delectable rum balls.
After the holidays, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen baking festive treats. These no-bake rum balls come together quickly and are the perfect combination of nuts and chocolate.
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips do not use the Nestlé brand as they do not melt well
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 3 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup of crushed walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips. Begin by heating the chocolate for 35 seconds in the microwave. Microwave the chocolate for another 20 seconds, stirring halfway through. Repeat until all of the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- cUsing a sieve or strainer, pour the powdered sugar into the melted chocolate. Combine the powdered sugar and the melted chocolate in a mixing bowl.
- Incorporate the dark rum, corn syrup, and vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Crushed vanilla wafers, crushed walnuts, and salt should be combined in a separate bowl.
- Mix the vanilla wafer mixture into the chocolate mixture until it is evenly distributed.
- Chill the mixture for 20-30 minutes, covered.
- Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and roll it into 1-inch balls.
- Dip each ball in sprinkles, then chill in the refrigerator until firm. Serve.
- Keep the dough cold to make rolling it into balls easier. If the dough becomes too warm, place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- If the balls dry out and the sparks become difficult to apply, dab a little water on the uncoated balls' surface.
- While the sprinkles add a festive touch, you can also top your balls with more chopped nuts, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, or simply leave them tasteless.
- Make them a few days ahead of time if you want to serve them. The extra time allows the crushed cookies in the balls to absorb the rum flavor. Place the balls in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To easily crush my cookies and nuts into fine pieces, I use a food processor.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 151Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 86mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 1g