- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 black cardamom seeds
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups raw basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups of water
- salt to taste
- In a large, heavy skillet over low heat, heat the oil. Combine the cloves, cardamom seeds, peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks in a mixing bowl. Cook for a few minutes to release the aroma of the spices. Make a paste with the garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of water; add to the pan with the spices.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and cook the peas for about 5 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the remaining 4 cups of water and rice. Season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed. Before serving, taste and adjust the salt.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 143Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 125mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 3g