Opor ayam is an Indonesian chicken dish from the Javanese islands’ central and eastern regions. In our tradition, this is frequently served to enliven Ramadan, along with ketupat and sambal goreng kentang (chili fried potato).
- 1 (2 to 3 pounds) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 candlenuts
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 7 shallots, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon of chopped galangal
- ½ tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon white peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh turmeric root
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind juice
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of white sugar
- 3 ⅓ cups fine coconut milk
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 small bunch of Thai basil
- 1 package (2.8 ounces) fried shallots
- For 30 minutes, soak the chicken pieces in lemon juice.
- In the meantime, preheat a dry skillet over medium heat. In a skillet, toast the walnuts, cilantro, and cumin for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Transfer to a large mortar and grind with shallots, garlic, galangal, ginger, peppercorns, and turmeric to make a paste. If necessary, work in batches.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Stir in the spice paste for 2 to 3 minutes, or until aromatic. Combine the lemongrass, tamarind juice, lime leaves, bay leaves, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the lemon juice and place them in the skillet. Turn to coat evenly with spices. Pour in the coconut milk, both thin and thick. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes, or until flavors meld. Mix in the basil leaves. Cook for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken and sauce and top with fried shallots.
- You can substitute candlenuts for macadamia nuts and lemon juice for tamarind concentrate.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 435Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 25gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 0mgSodium 288mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 5g