The roast lamb would be incomplete without the mint sauce. It adds a fresh and spicy layer of flavor to that roast dinner.
Mint sauce with lamb is a very British thing to do. We also have mint jelly, but the mint sauce takes the cake.
Lamb used to be much fattier than it is now, and the strong mint and vinegar flavors helped cut through the fat.
While lamb is a leaner meat these days, it’s still one of the fattiest roast joints, and while lamb is a flavorful meat, the mint sauce does an excellent job of complementing those flavors.
With only a few simple ingredients, it is extremely simple to prepare.
- 1 large bunch fresh mint (about 30g / 1oz or packed cup or leaves)
- 1 cup (120 ml) of boiling water
- 2 teaspoons sugar (caster / superfine is best)
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Remove the stems from the mint leaves and finely chop them.
- Fill a bowl halfway with boiling water. Allow to stand for a few minutes before straining through a sieve.
- While the leaves are still in the sieve, rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process and place them in a small bowl with the sugar, vinegar, and salt.
- Mix everything together and set aside for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavor to develop. After that, serve.
Can I move on?
- Yes, you can (store in a covered jar in the fridge) - but the peppermint will lose its potency. Mint's vibrant color only lasts an hour or two after being mixed with vinegar. At this point, the mint has turned a duller green, more resembling store-bought sauces.
I usually make mine a couple of hours ahead of time because the flavor develops more if it is left for a longer period of time.
How long will it keep in the refrigerator?
- I usually cover mine and keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days, but it can last up to 2-3 months if the leaves are covered in liquid and the sauce is stored in a sterilized, sealed jar in the fridge.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 173Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 160mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 38gProtein 3g