There is no doubt that having sauce recipes on hand can help you avoid trouble, and this smoked bourbon BBQ sauce is ideal to make when your food lacks that special touch.
You’ve probably seen the commercial version in the supermarket, but there will be a before and after after making the bourbon sauce at home. It has a delicious flavor that is slightly smoked, sweet, and has a hint of spice that everyone in the house will enjoy. It is critical to note that the alcohol will evaporate, leaving only the bourbon flavor behind. This recipe goes well with meats, salads, and even as a dip for vegetables and potatoes.
So, without further ado, let’s get to the recipe, and don’t forget to check out the tips and recommendations for incorporating the sauce into your meals.
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 65 ml bourbon whiskey
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 160 ml apple juice
- 195 g tomato sauce
- 2 tsp liquid marinade
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp liquid smoke for cooking optional
- ¼ tsp tabasco sauce optional
- Combine the sugar, apple juice, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, vinegar, salt, marinade, and mustard in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer as soon as it comes to a boil. Keep an eye on it because it has the potential to froth up like milk and make a mess.
- Cook for 15 minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally to incorporate all of the ingredients, and you'll notice that it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- For a smokier, spicier flavor, combine liquid cooking smoke and Tabasco.
- Stir to combine the ingredients, then place in an airtight container and refrigerate. Serve with your favorite side dishes.
- If you substitute coconut sugar for the brown sugar, the sauce will be less thick and sweet.
- If you don't have adobo on hand or prefer a more spicy flavor, you can replace it with canned chipotle sauce.
- Bourbon BBQ sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- This sauce can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 499Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 2587mgCarbohydrates 109gFiber 2gSugar 102gProtein 2g