- Pork Hock
- Big pot
- bay leaves
- Place the hock in a large, heavy-bottomed pot after rinsing it under cold water.
- Toss in roughly chopped greens such as onions, potatoes, and celery. The vegetables will complement the flavor of the hock and broth. Begin with two onions, a pound of potatoes, and eight stalks of celery, with the top half leaf removed.
- To taste, season with pepper and fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves. If you don't have fresh herbs, use dried herbs in a one-to-three ratio; one dried herb for every three fresh herbs. Adding salt is optional because the ham has a very salty flavor, especially if smoked.
- Fill your pot with water until the hocks, vegetables, and herbs are covered by at least an inch of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and cook for two to three hours. Longer cooking times will result in more tender hock meat and a richer broth
- Save the broth from the hock and vegetables in a strainer to use as a soup broth. Pork broth is preferred for use in split pea soups, with ham pieces added to the finished product.
- Cut or remove cooked meat chunks from the ham hock and serve with cooked vegetables or as a topping for soup made with pork broth. The vegetables made from the broth can be eaten, but they will lack most of their texture. Make an extra serving of roasted or steamed vegetables to go with your ham hock.
- If you prefer firmer vegetables, add them later in the cooking process. Browning the pork hock before simmering is also an option. Brown in a large cooking pot with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Browning the meat will give it a sweeter flavor and a crisper exterior texture.
- Do not feed the pork hock bone to your dog or any other pets. The cooking process softens the bone and makes it more prone to chipping and cracking.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 141Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 25mgSodium 228mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 10g