We show you how to cook a ham or a pork shoulder in your own oven. This is a very simple recipe that is ideal for when a large group of people gather to eat.
It is often said that we like pigs until we walk, and few meats are as grateful as that of this animal, from which we can take advantage of many pieces to grill such as loin, needle, sirloin or ham, and the shoulder, the latter pieces of which, if cooked whole, are very suitable for when we have to cook for a large group.
Roasting a ham or a shoulder in the home oven is not going to be a quick recipe, but the necessary cooking time is compensated by the fact that you don’t have to work at all, it is a very economical recipe, the result is fantastic, and leftovers are the most coveted of the Christmas holidays, because a roasted ham sandwich is not cool.
- Fresh pork shoulder or ham, 1
- Coarse salt
- White wine, 500 ml
- Sugar, 1 heaping tablespoon
- If the butcher does not prepare the ham for roasting, we will have to do it ourselves. To accomplish this, we will use a very sharp knife to cut into the skin in the shape of rhombuses or squares.
- We season the meat with coarse salt and set it aside while we preheat the oven to 160oC.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the white wine and sugar, bring to a boil, and reduce to three-quarters of its original volume. Take it off the heat and set it aside to warm.
- When the oven is ready, sprinkle a pinch of salt on a preferably clay or stoneware tray - it will flavor the sauce that will form -, place the ham with the skin facing up, spread it well with the reduced wine, and place the remainder in the tray.
- Bake for about 4 hours, or until the meat is tender when pierced and does not release pink liquid, indicating that the center is raw. Throughout the cooking process, we must open the oven every half hour and water the meat with the juices that it produces.
- If we have a kitchen thermometer, we must ensure that the temperature inside the piece has reached 65oC.
- At this point, we can raise the temperature and give the grill a quick blow so that the skin toasts and the crust remains.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 518Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 104mgSodium 1004mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 0gSugar 9gProtein 31g