Some chicken and vegetable fajitas can be a delicious dish as well as healthy. The choice of good ingredients and the correct cooking of them make the typical Mexican fajitas a delight that we can afford from time to time. Eating healthy, rich, and fun is possible. If you don’t believe it, take a look at the photo above. It looks good, right?
The trick to making chicken fajitas really tasty is to marinate the chicken breast before cooking it. Simply that. This way the meat is impregnated with all the flavors and aromas of the dressing, which results in very juicy and tender fajitas.
To wrap the filling you can use wheat or corn tortillas, whichever you like best. Mine was a mixture of both flours. And yes, they are called tortillas, not pancakes, although in Spain we call another equally delicious, but different preparation tortilla.
- 2 large Clean Chicken Breasts
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Small Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Small Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- Wheat or Corn Tortillas
- Jalapenos to Taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Handful of Coriander Leaves
FOR THE MARINE
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon of Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Sweet Paprika
- 1 Chilli
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Pinch of Coarse Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Step-1: Marinate the chicken
- Ingredients for making chicken fajitas:
- Crush the marinade ingredients in a mortar: In a mortar, crush the coarse salt with the cumin, paprika, pepper, and chilli until everything is reduced to a powder. Add the whole and peeled garlic and give it a few strokes to break it up.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips:
- Marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour: In a large bowl, place the chicken, the mash that you have made in the mortar, the juice of half a lemon, and a good jet of extra virgin olive oil. Stir all the ingredients well to distribute them, cover the container, and put it in the fridge. Let the chicken marinate for at least 1 hour.
Step-2: Preparing the chicken fajitas
- Onion cut into julienne, you know, in thin strips. Wash and cut the peppers too, in this case into small sticks.
- Cutting the vegetables for the fajitas: Onion cut into julienne, you know, in thin strips. Wash and cut the peppers too, in this case into small sticks.
- In a large frying pan, pour a good stream of virgin olive oil and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes or so. Make it over medium heat so it doesn't burn. Add a pinch of salt to help the onion sweat.
- Next, add the peppers cut into sticks and cook them for another 10 or 15 minutes, depending on whether you like them more or less al dente.
- Raise the heat a little and add the tomato, peeled and diced. To remove the skin you can use a special peeler or scald it.
- When most of the water has evaporated from the tomato, add the chicken strips. Sauté them until done, but don't overcook them because you risk drying out the chicken.
- Saute the chicken and add the jalapenos: Finally, add the jalapenos and the finely chopped coriander leaves. In my photos, you will see that I used parsley, but I just can't handle the coriander flavor; It is my pending subject.
- While the filling of the fajitas is being finished, heat the tortillas and serve it all together at the table. You can heat the tortillas in the microwave, in the oven, or in the skillet, whichever is more comfortable for you.
Tips for making homemade chicken fajitas:
- If you can afford it, choose a free-range or organic chicken breast. They tend to release less water when cooked and are tastier. You can also make the recipe for fajitas with other parts of the chicken if you feel like it.
- The combination of the three-colored peppers is very attractive, but it is not essential. Use the type of pepper you have at home.
- Lightly drain the chicken when removing it from the marinade so that the fajita filling is not too watery.
- This is a fridge bottom plate. I explain. You can have the chicken and vegetables prepared in advance and heat the tortillas at the time of eating.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 564Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 76mgSodium 917mgCarbohydrates 64gFiber 10gSugar 13gProtein 38g