This recipe for cauliflower with bechamel gratin in the oven is a classic and very delicious way to enjoy this vegetable. Preparing it has no difficulty, you will see it.
Although it is a very healthy food, the truth is that cauliflower is one of the vegetables that are less successful. I don’t know if it will be its color or the whiff it gives off when cooking it, but the fact is that it has a few detractors.
By the way. A trick so that cauliflower does not impregnate the kitchen with its characteristic smell while we cook it is to add a splash of vinegar to the cooking water. The odor is not completely eliminated, but it is greatly reduced.
Excuses for not having cauliflower are getting thinner, right? Go ahead and prepare it because this way it is very rich. Here is the recipe.
- 1 Medium Cauliflower (Between 900 and 1000 g)
- 700 g Whole Milk
- 70 g Butter
- 70 g of Wheat Flour
- 120 g of Cheese for Gratin (The variety you prefer)
- White Pepper
- 1 Splash of Vinegar to Cook the Cauliflower
Step-1: Cook The Cauliflower
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower, separate the florets, and cut the hard part of the stem. Cut the ones you see bigger into pieces and wash them all very well.
- Prepare a large container with plenty of water and salt. Add a splash of vinegar to avoid the unpleasant smell that cauliflower produces.
- Cook the cauliflower for about 20 minutes. The idea is that it is tender but slightly al dente, that it does not fall apart.
When you have it ready, drain it well and reserve it.
Step-2: Prepare The Béchamel:
- Melt the butter: Start by melting the butter in a skillet.
- Add the flour and cook: Add the flour, mix it well and you need to cook over medium heat for around 5 minutes or until it begins to take color.
- Add the milk little by little and mix well until there are no lumps: Incorporate the milk little by little, several times, while you work the preparation with a few rods. Do not stop stirring during the process so that no lumps come out.
- When you have added all the milk, cook over low heat for about 10 or 12 more minutes while using the rods to break up any possible lumps that have remained. The result should be a sauce with a smooth and homogeneous texture.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg: Season to taste with white pepper, salt & nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 180º.
- Arrange the well-drained, cooked cauliflower in an oven-safe dish.
- Pour the bechamel we just prepared on top and cover with the grated cheese.
- Cook at 180º for 10 minutes. With this, we get the cauliflower to regain temperature.
- Then, turn on the oven grill and grill it for about 5 minutes. When the cheese is golden brown and crisp, the dish is ready.
Step-3: Gratin The Cauliflower
Tips for making cauliflower recipe with bechamel sauce:
- Be careful when gratinating the cauliflower. Each oven works differently and if you spend too much time or temperature it can burn. In my case, to gratinate a preparation, I usually place it on one of the upper levels of the oven, raise the temperature to 200º and turn on the gratin function.
- Cauliflower can also be steamed either in the microwave or in an appliance with a steamer. There is another way to cook it in a pressure cooker if you used to it.
- Try to eat the dish fresh, when it is still warm and the cheese is well melted.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 391Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 68mgSodium 458mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 6gSugar 12gProtein 16g