The cobblestone of beans and cod, or paved, is a typical dish of Catalan cuisine. Fresh, healthy, and very easy to prepare, this bean salad is perfect to consume when the heat begins to tighten. As is often the case with traditional dishes, it is not easy to find a canonical recipe for them, so here I leave you a version of so many of this delicious stone paving of beans.
One of the things I like the most about legume salads is that, by spending very little time in the kitchen, we can enjoy a balanced, nutritious, and delicious dish. That is why I confess that I usually use packaged vegetables, the kind that is already cooked. Choose a good legume, yes, that is tender and that it comes whole.
To make this paving we also need cod. And the same I say. You can desalinate it yourself or buy it ready to eat. Depending on the time you have, choose one option or another.
- 400 g of Cooked Beans
- 400 g of Desalted Cod
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 1/2 Green Pepper
- 2 Small Chives
- 2 or 3 Eggs
- 60 ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sherry Vinegar, White Wine or Apple to Taste
- A Pinch of Salt
- Ingredients for beans and cod:
- Put the eggs to boil: Put the eggs in the bottom of a saucepan to cook first. Meanwhile, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the peppers & onion: Wash the peppers well and cut them into small cubes. Do the same with the onion.
- Tear the cod into strips: Tear the cod into strips with the help of your hands. It should be as if they were crumbs. Splitting it this way and not with the knife helps the dressing adhere better to the surface of the fish. And you don't need to cook it in any way because in this recipe the cod is raw.
- Chop the eggs: Chop the eggs too once they are cooked and cold.
- Wash the beans & mix them: Wash the canned beans and mix them with the rest of the paving ingredients.
- Make a vinaigrette with extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt: Make a vinaigrette with extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, and a pinch of salt. To do this, place all the ingredients in a container and beat them until you get an emulsion. Be careful when adding the salt because the cod is already somewhat salty.
- Dress the bean with vinaigrette: Dress the bean stone with the vinaigrette and use it as you like. For example, you can shape it with a hoop. If you are not going to consume the dish immediately, reserve it in the fridge.
Tips for making bean and cod paved:
- These types of legume salads are so easy to make that I can give you little advice. The main one: it uses quality ingredients and vegetables at their optimum point of maturity. Make sure the beans you use are tender and do not have very hard skin. As for olive oil, use the one you like the most, but make sure that its flavor is not excessively intense.
- The most suitable types of vinegar to make the bean stone are those that I indicate in the list of ingredients: sherry type, white wine, or even apple. Avoid balsamic or Modena vinegar, as they do not stick much with this preparation.
- As you can see, the cod is raw. If you are not convinced by the idea because the dish is going to be out of the fridge for some time or for other reasons, you can mark it lightly in the pan. Always being careful not to get dry.
- As I always tell you, adapt the recipes to your tastes or the ingredients that you currently have in the fridge. For example, you can add some black olives or some canned tuna.
- To add extra flavor and color, decorate the dish with aromatic herbs. Parsley, coriander, or basil are good options.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 448Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 195mgSodium 514mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 6gSugar 16gProtein 33g