To open the Cooking Code blog, I have chosen an easy-to-prepare but successful muffin recipe, ideal for breakfast, a snack or to indulge yourself: banana and walnut muffins.
These delicious buns can be a good solution to release those bananas that are about to go bad and nobody wants to eat at home. The combination of banana and walnuts gives the cake a smooth and delicious flavor, and if we add the aroma of cinnamon great!
As you can see in the photo, I have used some of those special papers to make muffins. They are for sale in specialized pastry shops, but if you do not have them you can use the typical capsules to make muffins. The muffins will be smaller but still good.
Accessories Needed to Make Delicious Banana Walnut Muffins:
- Some electric rods
- A large bowl to work comfortably
- A spatula
- A cupcake baking sheet
- Special capsules for muffins or, failing that, for muffins
- 90 g of creamy butter
- 140 g brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 yogurt
- 240 g of flour
- 80 g of walnuts, slightly cracked
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 envelope of baking powder (Royal type) or baking powder
- Another 20 g more of walnuts and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190º with heat up and down. It is not necessary to start the fan.
- The next thing we will do is sift the dry ingredients (flour, yeast, cinnamon, and salt) and reserve them in a bowl.
- On the other hand, we mix the butter with the sugar using some rods. Better if they are electric, so we won't get too tired. If you don't have it, the classic manual whisk can also be used.
- Next, we add the eggs one by one. We continue beating until they are all well integrated.
- Now you have to add the yogurt and the bananas previously mashed with a fork. We mix well.
- Finally, we incorporate the dry ingredients that we had previously reserved, we add the nuts. Mix gently with a spatula, without working excessively.
- We distribute the mixture in the molds. If we do not have the typical muffin papers, we can use capsules for muffins or cupcakes. Remember that it is better to place the molds in the cavities of a metal tray. Otherwise, they will open.
- To decorate our banana and walnut muffins, we lightly crush the 20 g of walnuts and the brown sugar that we have left to add to a mortar. The nuts have to be cut into small pieces, but not invisible! We sprinkle the result on the muffins.
- The last step in the recipe is to bake the muffins for about 20 minutes. This time is not exact, as it depends on the size of the molds that we have chosen. To check if they are cooked in the center, we prick them with a skewer stick, for example, which has to come out clean, without dough stuck to its surface.
- When they are done, we take them out of the oven and wait a few minutes for them to warm up a little so as not to burn us. Next, we remove them from the tray and let them cool completely on a rack. If we let them cool directly on the tray, we run the risk of moisture condensing on the base of the muffin and eventually detaching the capsule.
- Open the bananas and mash them just before adding them to the batter. They do not have to be completely crushed, so it takes little time to do it. If you want to make it at the beginning of the recipe, sprinkle them with a little lemon juice. This will prevent them from rusting.
- To make all the muffins the same, use a spoon of those that are suitable for serving ice cream. This way you will always take the same amount of dough.
- These muffins are decorated with a mixture of sugar and nuts that I explain in the step-by-step of the recipe. If this idea does not convince you, you can decorate them with a little royal icing, for example.
- It is important to control the baking time. If we overdo it with cooking, we run the risk of the muffin being dry, so we don't have to lose sight of the oven. If they are dry, accompanying them with a glass of milk or coffee will not be optional, but mandatory.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 840Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 144mgSodium 549mgCarbohydrates 113gFiber 6gSugar 54gProtein 17g
How to serve and taste the banana and walnut muffins:
- They are ideal for both breakfast and snacks. A sweet homemade snack is free of trans fats and additives.
- But we can also turn muffins into a delicious dessert. Simply remove them from their capsules and accompany them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or cream sprinkled with a little cinnamon and chopped walnuts.
- The muffins banana and nuts are usually completed within a blink of an eye. However, they keep well for two to three days in a tightly covered can.
You can also make these muffins in a mini version. If you want to see how they would look, here you can check out a recipe for blueberry and cream cheese muffins with which I made them “bite size.”
And if someone in the family can’t have eggs, don’t miss this recipe for egg-free chocolate muffins. We all have the right to enjoy!